Home / world / Who are Adrian Daulby and Melvin Cravitz, Manchester synagogue victims killed by Jihad Al-Shamie

Who are Adrian Daulby and Melvin Cravitz, Manchester synagogue victims killed by Jihad Al-Shamie

Jahid Al-Shamie

As Manchester reels from the recent brutal attack on Jewish worshippers gathered to observe Yom Kippur, authorities have reportedly identified the victims killed by Jihad al-Shamie, find out more below

Police have reportedly identified the victims involved in the incident and are treating the incident as a terrorist attack.

Who are Adrian Daulby and Melvin Cravitz, Manchester synagogue victims stabbed to death by by Jihad Al-Shamie

Political and religious leaders have reportedly condemned the assault as a hateful act targeting both the Jewish community and wider society as a whole.

Manchester synagogue attack

The tragic attack took place shortly after 9:30 a.m. on Thursday outside the Heaton Park Hebrew Congregation Synagogue in Crumpsall, north Manchester. As worshippers arrived for Yom Kippur, the holiest day in Judaism, the attacker, identified as Jihad Al-Shamie, rammed his car into pedestrians before stabbing multiple people.

Greater Manchester Police quickly responded upon receiving the reports and confronted the suspect within minutes. Armed officers seemingly shot him dead at the scene, preventing further casualties. According to Counterterrorism police, Jihad Al-Shamie is a 35-year-old British citizen of Syrian descent.

Manchester Synagogue attack victims identified

Police have reportedly named the two men killed in the attack as Adrian Daulby (53) and Melvin Cravitz (66). Both the victims were from Crumpsall and active members of the local Jewish community. Meanwhile, three other people are currently in the hospital after suffering serious injuries. Detective Chief Superintendent Lewis Hughes expressed his condolences to the victims, stating:

“My deepest sympathies are with Mr Daulby and Mr Cravitz’s loved ones at this extremely hard time.”

Relatives Melvin Cravitz said he was a “gentle giant” who “would never harm a fly” and his cousin Phil Bentley said his death was even more tragic as Mr Cravitz would never normally be at the synagogue that early in the day.

Adrian Daulby meanwhile was a cancer survivor, who lived alone and started going to the synagogue more after his father died a few years ago. He also had a cat and a chicken and ran a YouTube channel by the name Ady Finch.

Jihad Al-Shamie rammed his car into worshippers outside the Heaton Park Hebrew Congregation on Middleton Road before exiting the vehicle and stabbing others with three still in the hospital with serious injuries.

Jihad Al-Shamie was identified as the main suspect in the recent Manchester stabbing, with authorities still gathering information about his personal history and background. He was 35 years old at the time of his death and lived in the UK while holding British citizenship. Authorities are currently investigating a possible radicalization timeline to determine whether extremist networks influenced him.

Jihad who is of Syrian descent and a Muslim by religion, came to the UK as a small child and was naturalised as a British citizen in the mid-2000s.

He lived in Langley Crescent, Prestwich with his family, including his mother, father and brothers who lived there for around 20 years. He is believed to be single and unmarried at the time of his death.

Shamie who had been living there since 2001 had initially lived with both parents and two brothers but his father moved out about six or seven years ago and returned in a car with a French number plate.

Faraj al-Shamie, his father, in a statement said the family wished to distance themselves from Thursday’s attack and wrote: “The news from Manchester regarding the terrorist attack targeting a Jewish synagogue has been a profound shock to us.

“The al-Shamie family in the UK and abroad strongly condemns this heinous act, which targeted peaceful, innocent civilians. We fully distance ourselves from this attack and express our deep shock and sorrow over what has happened.”

Faraj al-Shamie worked as a trauma surgeon for several non-governmental organisations in conflict zones including South Sudan.

Official statements

The attack has triggered widespread condemnation, with UK Chief Rabbi Sir Ephraim Mirvis saying,

“The day we hoped we would never see, but which deep down, we knew would come.”

He added:

“Tragic result of an unrelenting wave of Jew hatred……not only an assault on the Jewish community, but an attack on the very foundations of humanity.”

Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer also denounced the attack, stating:

“This vile individual carried out a horrific act. We will do everything in our power to protect Jewish people and defeat antisemitic hate.”

ALSO READ: Who is Faraj al-Shamie, father of Jihad al-Shamie and more about his family and parents

Tagged: